The High Skates - Small or Intermediate series was created in 1961-1963. They stand approximately 5 5/8" +/- 1/4" in height and have a 2 1/4" square base. They have a decal on their chest and base. They have "raised" painted eyebrows and large ears. The skate blades are higher than the 1962 Regular size dolls. This series has "Japan" stamped on the bottom of the base. The color scheme on this series follows that of the Regular Series dolls with one exception -- the Chicago Blackhawks doll has a light blue colored base which is different from the 1962 Regular Size doll which has a red colored base. The Intermediate dolls used a unique spring that had 4 large coils (at the head) with a 1" long stem that attaches to the neck post with 2 small coils. This unique design accounts for the plus/minus 1/4" variation in the head height.
The NHL dolls in this series were said to have been sold and distributed only in Canada. Dewitt "Tex" Coulter was the distributor of the dolls. He played football for the N.Y. Giants of the N.F.L. (1946-52) and for the Montreal Allouette's of the C.F.L. (1953-56). The box for the Intermediate High skate series has a colored sticker that depicts a "Bobble-head MASCOT!", TEX COULTER ENTERPRISES INC. and an address in Montreal, QE. The team name is stamped on the end. My box has LEAFS with (TORONTO) underneath it. Notice the unusual neck protector for the doll. It was different from the REGULAR and MINI SERIES that were packaged with square cardboard pieces around the neck. (see the picture below)
There were 16 teams included this mold design: (6 NHL / 10 Swedish Teams)
- Boston Bruins -------------- NHL since 1924
- Chicago Blackhawks ----- NHL since 1926
- Detroit Red Wings --------- NHL since 1932
- Montreal Canadiens ------ NHL since 1917
- New York Rangers -------- NHL since 1926
- Toronto Maple Leafs ------ NHL since 1926
- AIK (Allmanna Idrottsklubben) "RATS" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1924 (club founded - 1891)
- BRYNAS IF "TIGERS" Swedish Premier Lg. since late 1950's (club founded - 1912)
- DIF (Djurgardens IF) "IRON STOVES" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1922 (club founded - 1891)
FBK (Farjestads BK) "WOLVES" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1974 (club founded - 1932)
- FROLUNDA IF "INDIANS" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1944 (club founded 1938)
- LEKSAND IF "STARS" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1938 (club founded 1919)
- TIMRA "Red Eagles" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1948 (club founded - 1938)
TRE KRONOR (THREE CROWNS) Swedish National Team (founded Feb 12, 1938)
- SSK (Sodertalje SK) "BLUE LIGHTNINGS" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1924 (club founded in 1902)
VIK (Vasteras IK) "Black Eagles" Swedish Premier Lg. since 1939 (club founded - 1913)
The abbreviation "IF" is commonly used by som eof the teams. "IF" is short for Idrottsforening which means Sports Association" in Swedish.
For more info & pictures of the Swedish hockey dolls, please go to my Swedish doll page=
Small / Intermediate Box with the original neck protector!
(Box dimensions are 6" high, 3 1/4" wide and 2 3/4 " deep)
The text on bottom of the box decal reads =
A Product of
Tex Coulter Enterprises Inc.
9200 Meilleur St. Montreal QE.
Printed on the bottom of the box is LEAFS (